Mr. H.B. Romaker, former school superintendent, was the one person most responsible for the establishment of a public library in the community of Liberty Center. His persistent efforts to secure a public library to serve the school district as well as the community, led to the creation of the Liberty Center Public Library. In November 1929 the one-room schools in Liberty and Washington Townships were consolidated with the public school in the Village of Liberty Center. The new consolidated school district offered a place for the public library to be housed, in exchange for sharing books and services with pupils and teachers.
A fire in late 1972 destroyed the high school building where the library was situated. Citizens and library staff members worked together, to move materials and equipment from the destroyed building, minimizing the library's losses. The Liberty State Bank, provided a temporary space for the library until a new facility could be found and remodeled in the downtown area.
While the library was located in the high school, the time to use the library by the citizens was limited. Thus, by chance, this relocation to the downtown area changed the perception of the library. Although the space was limited to under 2,000 square feet, the citizens of the community had an independent institution - a public library.
The next move, in 1999 to our present location of 4,751 square feet, was indeed a renaissance. This relocation greatly increased our useable space. Our present location not only functions as a public library, but also looks like a library - a showpiece in our community.
In 2002 the library board began the process of acquiring additional property. The library currently has a 3,276 square foot shell ready to be finished on the inside and opened to the rest of the building.